If Only America Had Back Bone  

Posted by: Cameon in , , , , , ,

Not too long ago, a buddy of mine and I decided that it would be best if we just remained friends. That taking things to the next level would be detrimental to our relationship and that we didn't want to risk it if something should happen in the end. The decision was mutual. It was definitely not one sided by any means.

But now, I find myself in a somewhat ironic situation.

We don't talk as much as we did before. In fact, now we rarely talk. And, when we do, it's usually pointless gabber that really holds no significance in life. And believe me when I say, I hate pointless conversations. Those conversations when you call and say “Let me tell you what I had for lunch today…” yeah, they do nothing for me. Sorry.

In fact, this has happened several times. I guess my question is whether or not it was actually a "lets just be friends because I value our friendship so much," kind of thing or a more "I'm tired of you now leave," kind of thing? And, furthermore, if it was the latter, why it wasn't just said like that.

I get sick of people. More than you know. And when I do, I'm usually pretty blunt about it. So, why is it so very hard for others to do the same?

Why is it that people can't say what they think?

Why is it we are so worried about what the other person will think about us?

If someone is an arrogant piece of crap that is most likely never going to find what they want because they don't really want to find then I'll tell them so. If I think someone has the wrong idea about the fact that the world should revolve around (insert name here) land I will certainly tell them that they are, in fact, much like Pluto in their miniscule existence.

I only wish I could meet people that would do the same.

If only former President Bush had said "Hey, Louisiana, it's not my fault your stuck but actually, your mayor's and your governor’s fault. Maybe you should have thought before you elected someone that didn’t know what they were doing, and now you’re paying for it,” I think the world would have been a much happier place.

In my opinion, if the world had a bigger back bone it would be a better place. For instance, now we simply just let people tell us what we should think. Is this “The Giver?” Have I missed the meeting where I was supposed to go and have someone else installed into my head telling me what I should think? If I did, someone needs to schedule me for that operation, because I am already dying in this world of non-thinkers.

We are teaching our kids to just go with the flow. Being different isn’t popular. If you’re different, you will be ridiculed and you won’t be the cool kid. That’s not true…for the most part. And, even if it is, it’s fun not being like everyone else. The only thing your missing out on, is guys wearing skin tight jeans.

No thank you!

Why are we teaching that it’s ok to be like everyone else? That we should, in fact, go to the norm? That we should believe what everyone else thinks and that when times get tough and it’s even harder to defend what you want, we should just go back to the norm and let them have their way?

NO!

BE STRONG! BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU WANT TO BELIEVE IN! STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO BELIEVE IN! TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU THINK! TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO KNOW! DON’T BE AFRAID OF HURTING FEELINGS!! BETTER YET, JUST CARE ABOUT SOMETHING BESIDES WHAT SOMEBODY WORE ON THE GRAMMYS LAST NIGHT!!

This entry was posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 and is filed under , , , , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

For the most part it is easier to just, "go with the flow" which is why a school of fish analogy is perfect, that one fish swimming the other way not only will have a harder time getting where he is going, but he is going to feel awful lonely.

As far as your "friend" goes. I don't know what to say, perhaps both of you got discouraged over your relationship not working as intended, so you both kinda stopped putting as much energy into the relationship.

But wouldn't that same fish be just as lonely if it never finds out who it really is? To me, going with the flow and being part of the norm is just as lobeli as never finding out who you really are and what you really stand for.

The "friend" isn't actually Adam. LOL. I knew it would happen with him and that's my doing as much as anything else I think. But maybe your right about the friend thing. I just don't get why people can't just say what they think.

Post a Comment