The Glitz, The Glam, and The Fashion  

Posted by: Cameon in , , , , ,

Everyone ready for another Fun Fact game?

Fun Fact: If you type in “glitz” there are more than 7 million results that pop up.

Fun Fact: Included in this result is the definition of “glitz” which is; extravagant showiness. The synonyms are: flamboyance, flash, flashiness, garishness, gaudiness, ostentation, ostentatiousness, pretentiousness, showiness, swank. The antonymns are: austerity, plainness, severity.

Fun Fact: If you type in Toddlers In Tiaras into Google images 32,500 results pop up. One of which is this image I found to be incredibly alarming.

Fun Fact: If you type in “online pageant” into Facebook as a search option you get over 500 results (which is when Facebook stops).

Fun Fact: If you click onto any of those 500 (not including the people that have decided to make their pageant a person and not a page), there are thousands (yes thousands) of pictures that pop up.

Fun Fact: I’m about to go on a rant, so if you aren’t interested please leave now. I am not one to mince words with any issue and certainly not an issue like this one.

I absolutely hate pageants. Don’t get me wrong, some of them are great in that they offer scholarships and do good deeds and what not, but what do you have to be in order to get these things?

In order to get the scholarship or the crown or whatever the prize might be you have to look good in a swimsuit, have the best smile, be the most beautiful, be the most full of crap, and be the best at making people believe you are someone that you simply are not.

So you are fake to get a reward.

Toddlers in Tiaras teaches little girls this at a very young age. You have to be all glammed up to be pretty. You have to have the fanciest dress. You have to have the most money. You have to have the perfect walk, talk, and dance. You have to be the complete package to win.

Operation Beautiful is something I talk a lot about, partly because it is such a great organization and a great idea. The concept is simple: Leave a post-it or any kind of note in a random place with “You Are Beautiful” or another beauty, self-respecting message on it with operationbeautiful.com at the bottom of it (although the last part is optional).

When you go to her site (and I encourage you to do so) there are countless numbers of post-its that have been posted throughout the world. There are countless stories about young girls and women that have struggled with self image all throughout their life and are only now learning that they are beautiful just the way they are.

As someone that struggled with their appearance (and still does) at times, the idea for this site is one I would much rather promote than something like Toddlers In Tiaras.

However, you don’t see Operation Beautiful with their own tv show. You don’t see Operation Beautiful and things like it in the news most of the time. The primped up, glammed up, made up Barbie dolls are the ones that are getting the shows on TLC and the news time. It’s ridiculous.

Take away the fact that you are telling your daughter (and sons in some cases) that you have to be one way to be beautiful or you’re not. That fun fact about all the pageants on Facebook…think about it!

MILLIONS OF PICTURES OF YOUNG BOYS AND GIRLS FOR THE WORLD TO SEE!!

TONS OF PEOPLE JUDGING YOU AND YOUR KID(S) ON WHETHER THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL OR NOT!

Lots of people will tell me there is nothing wrong with it. It’s just fun. Just a game. It’s not a game when you have 5 year olds with eating disorders. It’s not a game when you have 7 and 8 year olds putting on make up because they think it is the only way they can be beautiful.

It’s not a game. It’s an idea you are implanting into your little girl’s mind about what beauty is.

As someone that dealt with bullying all throughout school because I was not the prettiest, most popular kid in school…there is a pressure to be a certain way. Only recently have I learned to love myself; smile lines, chubby cheeks, and all.

 

Beauty comes in all different shapes, sizes, facial structures, hair colors, complexions, and colors. Some of the most beautiful people I know are not the thinnest. They are not, by definition, the prettiest. They have stretch marks from where they gave birth. They have a burn on their arm from where they were trying to save their brother during a house fire. They have dealt with bad acne all of their life. Their family didn’t have money to get their overbite fixed. They don’t have the designer jeans to make their butt look fabulous.

They are ordinary, everyday, run of the mill people. They are truly beautiful and they know it. They don’t have to have a panel of judges to tell them that. They don’t have to put on 10 pounds of makeup that was probably tested on animals to feel that way when they look in the mirror.

Childhood and adolescent obesity is at an all time high.

Eating disorders at a young age can cause mental disorders at an elderly age.

PLEASE think before you enter your sons or daughters in these pageants. Especially the online ones. That is just asking for some child pervert to jack off to their picture that they found simply by becoming a “fan.”Yeah, they are a fan alright.

Gratitide

1) I got to talk to my best friend Christi tonight for a little while. I hadn’t realized how much I had missed her until this conversation. Sometimes, talking to someone that isn’t afraid to put you in your place is the best thing.

2) Christi got into Alabama! I am SO EXCITED for her!

3) I had an amazing birthday today. Filled with lots of friends, family, and cake eating. Yum!

4) I have had several people contact me about Getting Social designs which is exciting.

5) There is an Alabama Basketball scrimmage Tuesday night at 7pm! BE THERE!

Tidbits

1) I hope by posting these I am doing good for someone, somewhere…if only for myself.

2) My friend did a good deed in challenging me to do this. He seemed to realize this is exactly what I needed to do. I think he was right.

3) I am going to post LOTS of post it notes tomorrow.

My Challenge: Today’s challenge actually has two parts:

1) Everyday this week, post your favorite attribute as your Facebook status and tell your friends to do the same. Even better, direct them to this blog and then tell them to do the same.

Example: Something I love about myself is…

Do this for seven days with each day being a different thing.

2) Tell 5 people today, in some way, shape, or form that they are beautiful. It can be someone random if you are brave. I think I might actually walk up to someone in the grocery store that probably has kids and has probably had a long day and tell them this.

Leave a text, FB wall post, FB message, call them, leave a sticky note, write it on their car window with window paint, whatever.

Ready….go!

Also, I enjoy reading feedback and seeing these challenges happen. So, if you do them and post about them please link your blog. Also, pictures are always welcome and you can email them to me if needed.

This entry was posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 and is filed under , , , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

Thanks for this. I needed it *hugs*

You are very welcome Jennifer. I needed it too, which is why I am so thankful for this person telling me to do this. :)

I hope you'll complete some of the challenges and post how things go. :)

Love today's post! My sister puts her 3 and 1 year old in the pageants and although she doesn't doll them up like most mom's do, I gripe at her all the time about it. I am a fat chick, and have been most my life so I definitely struggle with my self-image at times. However, I know I am more than my looks, and I'm so glad to hear someone as young as you recognize this in today's society. Keep it up! I'm going to post a link to this site when I post my status. :)

Post a Comment